Monday, October 19, 2009

Vegan Lightning McQueen Cake

I made a vegan strawberry Lightning McQueen Cake for Brix for his 3rd birthday!
I used 100% organic ingredients and organic vegetable dyes here is how I did it!



I used a vegan icing recipe from La Dolce Vegan it is really easy

Earth Balance vegan butter
Powdered Sugar
Soy milk
Vanilla extract

I don't usually follow measurements so i just mixed in all together until I got a glaze like consistency, the cake recipe I got here. I left out the liqueur part and added extra jam I also added small pieces of strawberries.2 days before I made the cake I made the dye, it was pretty simple except the red, here goes

Yellow= turmeric about 1/2 a teaspoon

blue= blueberries( must be fresh or the dye will come out more purple) I brought them to boil with water and corn starch then simmered until they thicked up, then pureed it in my Magic Bullet which is may favorite kitchen gadget! cooled it off then added a table spoon to the glaze

brown=coco I melted 1 table spoon vegan chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons coco, cooled and mixed it into the glaze

red= beets, chop 3 large beets and cook in water to a boil, then cook for 45 mins on med heat then simmer for an hour. Then puree beet "sauce" return to pot and cook for another 30 mins. The trick here is to cook out most of the liquid so you get a paste, cool it off and mix 1 tablespoon it into glaze. You will never get a red red with beets its always going to be a little on the raspberry side unless you cook a dozen beets down for 2 days! For cake pan my mother in law bought me one from Michael's!
Also I feel its important todo everything in stages, make the dye 3 days in advance, then the cake the second day, then ice it the day of. That way you don't spend 10hrs in the kitchen and everything gets 24hrs to set up in the fridge





No comments: